A common bacterial infection, strep throat causes inflammation of the throat, resulting in irritation and painful discomfort. Known to be extremely contagious, it is important for patients to treat this medical condition before they pass it on to others. An excellent place to address strep throat is your local urgent care center. A+ Urgent Care, an accredited urgent care facility located in Clifton, New Jersey, discusses strep throat and how we can help patients treat it.
What Is Strep Throat?
Classified as a respiratory infection, strep throat occurs when bacteria called group A Streptococcus (group A strep) infects the throat and tonsils. This condition can easily be passed from person to person by talking in close proximity, coughing, or sneezing. These actions cause small droplets containing the bacteria to be produced in the air, allowing others to ingest them and become infected.
Sore throats, although extremely uncomfortable, do not automatically mean that patients have strep throat. Patients need to be able to determine when their condition warrants a visit to an urgent care facility. Patients should make an appointment when they experience any of the following symptoms:
- Rapid onset of a sore throat
- Feeling of pain when swallowing
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Irritated tonsils with sometimes white patches or streaks of puss
- A high fever of over 101°F
- Swollen glands that cause discomfort when touched
- Trouble turning your head to one side or the other
- Pain that causes trouble swallowing, eating, sleeping, or talking
Patients of all ages can get strep throat. However, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), strep throat is seen more in children than adults and it is most common in children ages five and 15 years of age.
How Urgent Care Can Help Your Strep Throat
If you feel as if you may have strep throat, you should contact an urgent care facility right away to schedule an appointment. By doing so, they can administer the proper tests to accurately diagnose your medical condition, provide the necessary services, and prescribe the correct medication to treat it. Once seen by a medical professional, a throat swab test will be conducted.
If this test comes back positive, antibiotics, which are the recommended course of treatment for this condition, can be issued to you. Patients who are allergic to the medication can be prescribed other types of antibiotics. Once treatment begins antibiotics will treat strep throat by doing the following:
- Helping patients feel better by decreasing the symptoms
- Decreasing the longevity of the medical condition
- Helping prevent strep throat from being passed to others
- Helping stop any further complications from occurring, such as rheumatic fever
Why You Should Go to an Urgent Care Facility
Not meant to take place of your primary physician, urgent care facilities are a great option for when you need relief fast from your medical condition, such as strep throat. Also, urgent care facilities are generally faster and less expensive alternatives to emergency rooms. Other benefits of urgent care health facilities include:
- Convenient hours of operations: Generally, urgent care centers are open for an extended period of time throughout the day, allowing patients to receive the treatment they need – when they need it. For instance, A+ Urgent Care is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Wide range of services: Excellent for treating a variety of medical conditions, urgent care facilities house the necessary resources to offer a wide range of medical services.
Treat Your Strep Throat at A+ Urgent Care
If you or a loved one believes they are suffering from strep throat, receive the treatment necessary to feel better at A+ Urgent Care. Our accredited urgent care center is made up of dedicated health care professionals who are committed to treating families in Clifton, New Jersey. For more information about us and our services, please contact us today at A+ Urgent Care.